Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Editing Unfinished Posts: On Subtlety

I was rooting through my unfinished posts and I found this one. At the time, I thought the whole thing was hilarious. Since then, it has become apparent that maybe I am being way too subtle. Or that I am not really all that funny, but no one wants to let me in on that joke. I think this a comment on Pop Renaissance and I decided to turn it into a post about one of the ways I make jokes.

You walked into yet another comment line wherein AG tries to out-tough the boys. I was being extremely subtle (that was actually a joke about how I don't like Mondays either) and AG missed the joke entirely. I suppose I should explain it to Aggro Girlfriend.

By making a joke about Morrissey I was clearly trying to poke and prod PopRen because we all know how much he loves Morrissey. There is ample evidence on this blog, and on mine as well, in the February posts. Since nothing helps a bad mood like sharing, clearly I was in a bad mood. The day I made the comment and tried to share my bad mood with PopRen, instead hitting Aggro Girlfriend, was a Monday. I was not actually making an attack on Morrissey so much as I was making a very circumspect claim of enjoying the song, "I Don't Like Mondays" by The Boomtown Rats.

Clearly, we must never allow Aggro Girlfriend to be president or she will quickly doom us all to a nuclear hell.


Actually, I still find it extremely funny when AG tries to get all tough on people. In part because I bet in real life she is this totally sweet, normal person and hardly says a mean word to anyone. I bet she helps old men across the street and stuff. My mental image of her while she blogs is a standard female body with a head that is in frenetic motion. The speed at which her head flips around keeps her hair in equilibrium with gravity so that it is suspended in air and completely occludes her face. The center of the mass of whirling hair is a blur due to the speed at which her heads flails. There is so much that aggravates her on the internet that it seems to whip her into a frenzy.

I agree that a lot of the people on the internet are both mind-bogglingly stupid and maddeningly hateful but I try to let it wash away as soon as I unplug. Ultimately, I think AG gets so worked up is because she is such a nice person that it infuriates her when other people are shitheads. Or shitbags. Or cobags in the insulting, non-endearing way.

To conclude, nice try with the hard core tough chick routine, but we all know you're a nice babushka.

No comments: