Friday, August 10, 2007

Since U Been Gone: Not Exactly Making Any Friends

The Pretentious Bastard, who is not as pretentious as he claims, really likes Kelly Clarkson's Since U Been Gone. He likes it so much he played me a video of Ted Leo playing an acoustic version of the song on YouTube.



So, tonight I am sitting in Nanny O'Brien's across the street from the Uptown theater after watching the Potter movie. After having my first mouthful of Guinness, a guy gets up on the stage for his acoustic set promoting his band's CD release show at the 930 Club next Saturday. After playing a couple of standard bar songs, he asked for requests. Someone timidly shouted Freebird and my pal, Jenn, says that she would like to hear someone request Fifty Cent. I turned toward the stage and shout, "SINCE YOU BEEN GONE BY KELLY CLARKSON!"

If you have met me, you know my voice carries. Everyone turns to me and then back to the stage and the guy says, "Alright, well fuck the guy who said Kelly Clarkson. Goddamn Kelly Clarkson." Or something to that effect, it was a little hard to hear with everyone laughing at me. In my head, all I could hear was the Pretentious Bastard laughing his ass off while holding his hand over his mouth.

A couple songs later, the dude said that it was his birthday and that he had EPs for sale for $10. I walked up to the stage holding a twenty dollar bill over my head. People cheered and the band's friends were psyched. I bought two.

When the guitarist/singer and the keyboardist took a break, I stopped on my way to the bathroom to say I was mostly kidding about the Kelly Clarkson request. He apologized for making fun of me. He's got a good sense of humor. At least, I hope he does and that he wasn't startled by the fact that I was a foot taller and 100 pounds heavier. I look meaner than I intend at times.

The band is No Second Troy and I am going to see them next Saturday, despite the fact that I don't like the venue. I'll get over it. I'll probably request 'Since U Been Gone' again.

15 comments:

Pretentious Bastard said...

If Ted Leo likes it, its good enough for me.

Chuckles said...

You would have spit Guinness everywhere when I yelled it. They probably heard me in the bathroom.

Pretentious Bastard said...

Here is hoping I would have said it with you.

Anonymous said...

If you request it often enough they will probably learn it for you.

With any luck, it will be the acoustic version.

Anonymous said...

Since U Been Gone is so post-ironic, not remixing the song reeks of conformity. You have to request it now EVERY opportunity you get.

Chuckles said...

I really do. I don't really even like it a whole lot, but it wormed into my brain with a vengeance thanks to the Pretentious Bastard.

Adorable Girlfriend said...

That's why UC listens to on his iPod 24/7 between checking his dumb fantasy b.ball.

How can you pretentious and like Kelly C.? It's like saying you won't get a BMW because it's new money.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Chuckles said...

Saying you won't buy a BMW because it is new money is not pretentious, it is ... ok it is pretentious.

Kathleen said...

How can you be pretentious and like Kelly C.?

by calling it "post-ironic"?

Chuckles said...

I have been over irony for about 4 years. I just like stuff I like and always have.

For the record, I was done with comedy websites a full week before the Onion and The Hater. I have the chat logs to prove it, too.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I like Ted Leo, but that song will never replace "Tell Balgeary...." in my playlists.

I was probably the guy yelling for "freebird", even if I am thousands of miles away. Although sometimes I yell for The Fugs.

Classy move to buy the CD.

Adorable Girlfriend said...

Irony is for teh poor.

Brando said...

That is really funny, Chuckles.

The Pretentious Bastard is also right. Since U Been Gone is a good song.

Shannon Erin said...

brando knows what he's talking about.

Pretentious Bastard said...

AG: Read this. Also, I will not get a BMW because I don' think I am ever buying a new car again. Ever. EVER.