Friday, August 10, 2007

Baby Killer Estelle and The Sentiments at Fort Reno

Baby Killer Estelle and The Sentiments did an admirable job and persisted with the show until the rain got too intense. Bad fucking luck that the only decent rain we have in the DC area in three months had to happen tonight.

Baby Killer Estelle is an odd mix of jazz piano and angry, angry music. The pianist, Leo Svirsky, introduced them by saying, "Um, hi. We're Baby Killer Estelle. We are anarchists. This song is about capitalism and fascism." I smirked. The songs feature piano and drums which sounds lamer than it is because Svirsky is a genuine prodigy. The overall sound is solid social commentary of the angry young man that sounds like an odd mix of ballroom, jazz and The Misfits.* When Svirsky starts screaming you could feel something authentic, even if it is the weakest part of the songs. The song that was in Russian was pretty cool and sounded like an bedtime song, but one that you drink. Special praise should be given since they played in the rain. Bravo. Overall, if you are the adventurous person you all should be, go see them. They are touring up into New York and Massachusetts later this month. This is no reflection of their talents, but I giggled at the announcement that they had CDs for sale followed by "Viva Anarchia! Fuck capitalism!"

The Sentiment started off by announcing that this was their last show. The first song turned into their only complete song which was unfortunate because I liked it. The rain restarted with a vengeance and the show had to be canceled. Sucks to be us, I guess. I went over to the stage and asked if they had any CDS. The cute bass player said, "This is our last show!" Well, shit. I still wanted a CD. There are four mp3s available for download of their MySpace page, so you can check those out there. According to DCist, the singer is off to various projects including the Black and White Jacksons while the exasperated bassist will be moving on to another group playing at the Rock and Roll Hotel. I would go to that but I have a non-date and we are going to see the Harry Potter movie. Why yes, I do have a huge L carved into my forehead.

*If I weren't grossly unqualified to write a decent music review this part of the paragraph might be more informative. Perhaps Destroyer is a good reference, but I am not sure as I have only heard two songs by Destroyer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry about that, we didn't have any good recordings and we'd hate to leave you with a bad one and think that we were worse than we actually are. thanks for coming out to the show.

-sentiment bassist.

Chuckles said...

Well, maybe I can get my grubby little paws on a copy of the Jette-Ives album, if there is one.