Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Looking Up?

Sometimes, it is hard to tell. I've got music, a social schedule just full enough, a new job, a new era of education and a new-ish hobby. It feels like everything is going to shit.

I've previously discussed my recent musical purchases, so I'll skip that discussion and move on to the Animal Collective show at the 930 Club on the 28th. I'm going to see them and I hope they will be awesome.

I am leaving my apartment to meet people two nights this week! Better get a refill on my agoraphobia medication. I have been asked to tend the grill at my friend's birthday party on Saturday. I am at my best when surrounded by fire and meat, so this should be an excellent time. The weekend after next, I am volunteering my time at my parents' church yard sale, as I do every year. As true as certain webcomics may be, I don't do this to meet women. I do host Halloween parties to meet women and I've got that to look forward to as well.

I have been laterally promoted within my company which is nice enough, I guess. I view it as being fired from my old job. My new job is still interesting and the company is paying me to take classes at the USDA Graduate School, so that is a step in a better direction. If all goes well, I will even have a pretty bitchin' title by the new year. I'll look even better on paper than I do now, which is nice even if I can't buy myself a roast beef sandwich.

I have been hanging out with some people trying to get a short movie filmed. We are working on a script and are eager to get to filming. This is pretty cool, but we have encountered some trouble. Flaky people annoy the shit out of me. If you aren't going to show up, return the call and say so. We know you're just sitting on your couch smoking dope and watching Gilligan's Island, so be an adult and call us to say that you aren't going to show, chundernozzle. Despite the flakes, I am still learning a bit about writing and working on a script. Just the whole process of collaboration is interesting.

I guess I should be pretty excited about all this. My fall looks far more interesting and active than my summer was, but there is still some lingering malaise. It's a lot more than lingering. I've got a lot going for me, but I am just not excited about any of it.

12 comments:

Shannon Erin said...

Buck up, kiddo.

What are you going to be for Halloween?

Anonymous said...

I need to find more Haloween Parties.

Last year I was frylock (yes, with Master Shake and Meatwad in tow) Costumes took 3 hours and 15 dollars, and we won.

This year, however, I need at least 3 parties to justify the effort.

We're going big this time.

I made a film (a few, actually) in college. AG saw the good one, (all 35 minutes of silent 8mm glory, with intertitles) she liked it.

Adorable Girlfriend said...

Movie? AG wants full details.

AG is not flaky!

I did indeed like the mDHattEr video. That and his cute friend who flirted with me.

Anonymous said...

his cute, jewish, hippie, married friend.

Chuckles said...

I have two choices, both require minor expenditures of money.

I already have a Doctor Who suit and the Converses, so that is pretty easy. I just need an overcoat.

Or I can go with my original idea of being Jeff Goldblum's character from Buckaroo Banzai, Adventures Across the 8th Dimension.

Adorable Girlfriend said...

I think we're talking about other dudes because that dude was not a hippie and he wasn't married.

The only hints I am giving is that he has no children or a dog.

Kathleen said...

hmm, Chuckles tough choice.

Doctor Who is retro AND now, which is unusual, and you will likely pull in a few more ladies given his broader appeal and more easily identifiableness.

OTOH, buckaroo bonzai is awesome. Plus, the ladies you pull with that one will be the one(s) you will want to keep.

Anonymous said...

Chuckles, if you go as New Jersey (yes, I got the reference first try) you will be my fucking hero.

That is a great costume idea.. though everyone will think you're the gay cowboy from pee-wee's playhouse.

Snag said...

It's sometimes hard to get excited until it gets going, and then all of a sudden it's way better than you ever expected.

Yes, I'm talking about making a movie. Why, what were you thinking?

Chuckles said...

Snag, I don't know if I'll be able to convince anyone to make one of those movies anytime soon.

mdhatter, you mean Lawrence Fishburne?

Kathleen, you are more right than you know.

Anonymous said...

Buckaroo Bonzai, no question, BUT you can't tell people "I'm Jeff Goldblum's character from BBAT8D"

You just have to say that you are Dr. Sidney Zweibel, the New jersey Kid.

I think you should go as your own wang. Recursive!

Chuckles said...

Exactly, pinko, but I figured that no one here would get it, but I should have known that here was the only place that people would get it.