Thursday, February 14, 2008

Who's in the Kitchen With Genius?

I knew I had to cook something because Hallmark tells me so and because I said I would a few days ago. Unfortunately, I left the pork chops in the freezer this morning and had only three year old couscous and leftover curry in my fridge. I had no ideas for a meal and little time, but for some reason I had a hankering for wienerschnitzel. Veal is expensive, so I grabbed a pork loin roast that was less than ten dollars, flour, eggs, some salad fixings, and some frozen green beans.

I made the salad, threw the beans in some water to boil, and was flattening the chops I had sliced off the roast when she arrived. I mixed two eggs with a little soy milk because the knowing without knowing part of my brain said I should and I was pretty much operating entirely on that bizarre portion of my grey matter's unspoken and rarely heard advice. I think it may be the snake part of my brain and I don't think I am a parselmouth. If anything, I'm the spider whisperer.

I digress. I soaked the flattened pork slabs in the egg mixture and dropped them in the flour and spice mix. I made sure they were thickly coated and tossed the slabs in the hot olive oil. I cooked three schnitzels and then mixed the flour with the eggs and made a schnitzel-pancake. Pretty frigging good for a guy with no recipe and no prior experience cooking this.

The only odd thing about the night was the question, "Were you trying to make a dinner with my three favorite foods?" I have no idea what she was talking about, I wanted a schnitzel and some green beans. I was also desperate for a salad after three nights of curry and four days of bananas and honey on whole wheat bread. I hate bananas.

So yeah, the Tom Petty Was Right sign is hanging right next to the Homeric Ideal tabard.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, what can I say, the salad was with grapefruit and therefore the meal contained three of my favorite foods: pork, green beans, and grapefruit. Nice that our tastes coincided last night. And once again, well done.

Jenny said...

My Mom always made wienerschnitzel with regular beef slices pounded flat. It took me YEARS to figure out that the "wiener" actually referred to veal! Yours sounds yummy, though. Congrats on your mad kitchen skills.

Chuckles said...

Um, actually the "wiener" in wiener schnitzel refers to Wien (Vienna) and the people who live there Wieners (people from Vienna). Sorry, Jenny.

Kathleen said...

I love that you had to go out and buy eggs and flour.

Sounds very tasty! nice going.

Anonymous said...

Pork and grapefruit, sounds like a keeper to me. Conversely, I am getting divorced.

ZZ