Friday, November 30, 2007

Nothing Like News from the Democratic Republic of the Congo to Give You Some Perspective

I read something this morning that I don't know how to process. I don't know if anyone should even try to process it. Events like these should always be raw and wounding, if only to remind us of our responsibilities as human beings living in this world. An 11 month old girl in the Congo has died the day after she was raped. You read that correctly. Months. 11 months old.

Even the news that soldiers have started summary judgements against rapists is no consolation. I'm gonna go throw up.

Here is a lovely photo essay.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes our world is not such a nice place.

Anonymous said...

This is why it is important to elect strong world leaders and convey consistent messages that we must do everything we can to create world peace and address such misjudgements in society.

I am now extra sad.

Anonymous said...

Stupid blogger! Anon is AG. Can anyone tell me why my username and password no longer work?!!

Chuckles said...

Probably because you are signed in to a gmail account other than your own.

Snooper.

Snooping Snoopy Snooperson!

Unknown said...

This compels me to want to become a mercenary in Africa exacting vigilante justice. Of course, this would do nothing to solve the problem and put me on their level. Still...sigh.