Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Omega Man

My college has this website thing set up that is basically myspace for alumni. Scrolling through the lists of friends, friends of friends and friends of friends of friends, I can conclude two things: this is taking too much of my time at work and that everyone I knew in college, even vaguely, is now in some stage of being married and/or having children.

I also found, quite by accident, the person that had my mailbox after me. I know who this person is because I opened my mailbox the semester after I had left college for the last time. This person is now in the process of finishing their thesis in "sixteenth and seventeeth century English embroidery." I sincerely hope that is a joke.

9 comments:

BOSSY said...

Married and/or embroidery thesis'? You must feel very accomplished.

Chuckles said...

Oh yeah, I feel just fucking great about it. I live in the most powerful city in the world, the most corrupt city in the world, the most disenfranchised city in the country and work for the most respected magazine in the field and I am not bothered by the fact that I sleep alone nearly every night.

Actually, that sounds pretty fucking rad. Still, sixteenth century English EMBROIDERY? What the hell?

Smartypants said...

Embroidery thesis?

Clearly, you didn't go to my alma mater. I can't even think of a department at my school which would entertain this. Anthropology?

Snag said...

I know several women who are now desperately engaged in embroidery as a way to dull the pain of their lives. So maybe there's more to it than would first appear.

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like Chuckie is teh jealous of the PhD candidate. Get over Chuckie! The dream for you is over. You'll have to accept a PhD in philosophy or Tuckbag take downs and call it a day.

Anonymous said...

I recently walked by a knitting store and heard a bunch of 30 something women in a snit about the fact that the store was late opening for their evening knitting class. They were taking Extended Learning classes in knitting and embroidery! It's coming to a town near you!!

Chuckles said...

The fact that people like embroidery and knitting is no big deal to me. The fact that someone would/could/can get a doctorate in sixteenth and seventeenth century English embroidery seems just damn funny. Why not fifteenth century? I guess the eighteenth century was sort of played out by the big thesis push of '04.

teh l4m3 said...

FREE THE LANCE!

Chuckles said...

UNSHEATH THINE SWORD, KNAVE!

HEY! Put your pants back and duel me! What are you DOING? STOP! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!