Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Geologically the Same but Biologically Different

As we travel further north, I notice that the water is clearer. The invasive zebra mussel has cleaned out much of the clutter in the waters of the great lake. On first look, this appears to be a blessing. However, the clarity of the water allows the submerged vegetation to grow at greater depths and this has the unfortunate side effect of increasing the mass of rotting vegetation at water's edge. The smell is quite pungently potent and compares rather unfavorably with the campground toilets of my youth spent in various travel camps in eastern Europe.

The communities have undertaken many temporary measures to combat this vile green menace. Just yesterday, I spotted paddleboats that had been designed specifically for mowing the seagrass. There is not much one can do as the chemistry of the lakes are being changed irrevocably. Such is the folly of the wages of sin or some such reproving proverb.

The beaches remain much as I remember them, aside from the olfactory factors. I built an underwater cairn at a limestone pebbled beach to memorialize certain memories of my youth and more recent events. I visited the establishment which had provided me with many frozen repasts and was satisfied.

Today, we venture further north into my past and memory.

10 comments:

Adorable Girlfriend said...

Stop writing like Hemmingway.

I never thought I would long for the days of wang trash talk on this blog. I perhaps have been proven wrong, again!

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a good post. With one M-ingway!

Brando said...

I think this was an X-K-Red-27 technique by Chuckles to get AG to beg for wang posts.

Anonymous said...

Once again, David Eggers has nothing on you. He owes you royalties, man.

You should sue.

Anonymous said...

I agree with AG. More wang please. Or if you want to comment on the ecology of Wisconsin, perhaps you can discuss the impact of the zebra mussel on your wang.

Kathleen said...

I was getting more of a Beautiful Swimmers vibe myself.

Anonymous said...

So... how much Bob Seger have you heard on the radio? A lot?

Chuckles said...

We just heard the live version of Turn the Page as we returned to base camp, Robola. I was musing upon this happenstance myself.

Adorable Girlfriend said...

Never mind. I change my stance since UC agrees with me. Anything UC is for, AG is against.

Anonymous said...

Chuckles- numerous lakes in WI are being strangled by Asian Milfoil. Are you seeing that in your area? They usually have large Dr. Seuss-type machines that go around cutting it and then it drifts to the shore and STANKS!!!

Milfoil is easily transported on propellers, feet, and possibly even wangs. :(